In other news, there has been quite some interesting conversation over at We Are Flying Solo about basics and, well, just that - the basics. In particular, groundwork. So I think it's far past time for a discussion about it here. It'd be good to have one; I enjoy talking about groundwork, especially because I'm always looking for something new to do with Lucy, since in-hand work is about the only work we can do with her.
Like I stated to Solo's owner and the others that I've been talking to, this is typically (I repeat: typically) our routine:
- I turn Lucy out into the roundpen and let her re-familiarize herself with the place. She's really spooky and has a hard time focusing when she's wary about something, even something little, so she needs to get used to the same place typically every time she's in it.
- Then we stretch. Head to either side, hold for 10 seconds. Yield to pressure on the poll (meaning she needs to drop her head until her nose is at least a foot from the ground, if not closer). Stretch front legs up and then forwards. Back legs up and then out (back).
- Plenty of showmanship work until Lucy's tuned into me, my body, and her mind's engaged in the work. We do lots of backing, squaring up, pivoting (mostly on the right hind, we have yet to work on the left hind...), walking on, and stopping next to me a fair distance from me when I ask.
- Desensitization, mostly of her face. Lucy is definitely one of those horses that will flip her lid if you dare try and touch her ears without warning or even touch them in the wrong way. God forbid! So usually we work on touching the ears and whithers/back, and then some whip desensitization. I suspect she'd been abused with her past owner - she's quite looky at the whip and if you touch her while free-lunging with it, she'll take off, trip, and usually fall flat on her face. Yes, I learned this the hard way.
- Next, we remove the halter and lead. I walk on, stop, back, and pivot without touching her with hands, whip, or rope/halter. It's quite magical. Yes, I always have a whip and halter on the gate where I can get them quickly if danger arises.
- After that, I put her halter and lead back on and we work on something new. This varies from things like ground driving to things like, say, pivoting around the left hind.
- The halter is again removed and I free-lunge her at the walk. When I feel she's ready, I let her 'join-up' with me. That concludes our lesson most days.
What do you do for groundwork with your horse? Do you have a horse that is too lame to do much work? How many horses have you trained to successfully do all of the above basics? (Note: I have trained 5: Missy, Lucy, Tarzan, Pete, and I've started on Chief.)
2 comments:
I really like your groundwork routine. I usually see Gem on Fridays, but it usually ends up being a grooming session because I am literally the only one at the stables and I won't ride if there is no one around. I think I may start doing some ground work with him on these occasions and incorporate some of your routine. Something that I have gotten completely away from is asking him to bend at the poll - I can't remember the last time I asked him that. Thanks for sharing!
No problem! Groundwork is a big thing with me. I think it helps strengthen relationships and enforce boundaries.
Post a Comment