Friday, January 21, 2011

Blankets?

On Wednesday - last time I was at SunnyBrook - I noticed Lucy doesn't really have much of a winter coat. She looked kinda cold standing outside, under a not-so-leafy tree, ears flopped to the side and kinda back and her tail pinned to her butt. I went up to her and she pushed her head against my chest and shoulder, as if begging me to take her inside. I just kinda patted her cheek and walked away, though, and got Missy.

So today when SmartPak posted something on their Facebook about blankets (I follow them on Facebook:)), I instantly thought about Lucy, with her thin coat that's not-so-wintry and her pleading eyes begging me to get her something warm. I didn't have any warm food or anything, and I had limited-ish time and no stalls were ready, so I couldn't bring her inside. Plus the hoses were frozen and we're out of grain, so what would I have fed and watered her with?!?

Maybe I should get a blanket for her. But the thing is, they're uber expensive and I'm afraid she'll hate it. She has a sensitive back and isn't a fan of things touching her shoulder or rump, let alone staying on 24/7 while she's out in the pasture. Winter isn't even close to over with the weather we've been having (this morning it was -16 F and 99% of the power in our county was out), so by the time I got her a blanket and it got here she'd still have plenty of winter to wear it for.

The only thing is, what blanket can I purchase that keeps her warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and not-so-dirty? Do you blanket your horses? If so, what brands do you recommend and what do you think I should stay away from?

The biggest question of all... SHOULD I actually blanket her? I'd have to pay for the blanket myself. I know we have a few blankets at SBS that I could try on her, but she's a huge girl and I doubt they'd fit, and even if they did I have to find them first. So... thoughts?

Can't wait for spring!

3 comments:

Wolfie said...

Can't help you with this. Gem is not blanketed. He's out all day, but brought in at night. Poor Lucy. Is she brought in at night?

Gabriella Elise said...

No, not brought in at night, but either Lisa or I are there every night and most of the day. We've opened up part of the end of the barn and created a little 'run in' between the end of the round pen and the end of the barn. It's big enough for all of the horses to fit in at once and actually quite sheltered. We're hoping it's going to be enough until we make a blanket decision.

Kate said...

If she's shivering, definitely pop a blanket on her. Even if its only a 200mg fill, its better than nothing.