I've made a new blog... a more personal blog, not about horses.
Warning: This new blog contains emotions.
Warning: This blog is a Tumblr blog, not a Blogger blog. I'm pretty sure you can still follow it though blogger, though. Let me know if you like it on Tumblr... if it's too inconvenient, I'll switch it to blogger.
You can find it here.
1 comment:
Hi There: I saw your post on "Behind the Bit" and thought I would offer my experience on blanketing - or when to blanket - your horse.
The two things I look for on my horses that tell me they need blanketed are #1. If you can see they are shivering - yes, they need a blanket. And #2, if the base of their ear is cold, they are cold. If the base of their ear is warm, then they are good to go! I have owned horses for 5 years in Ohio and in all 5 years, I only had one winter, about 3 years back, that was a very wet, damp winter and my horses were actually shivering when I went out to feed so I blanketed.
I give this advice assuming the horse is allowed to naturally grow in a winter coat...if you clip your horse in any means, I would imagine the blanketing protocol is different. I don't clip my horses so I am unsure in that regard.
Your horse may also require a slight increase in it's rations to help keep warm when it is very cold out.
Post a Comment