Friday, January 28, 2011

Mona

Today, Erica picked me up from school. We went to McDonalds, got some food and drink, and then headed to the barn. Erica had a lesson to teach, but Kristen Dana  was there and - we'd talked on FB a couple days ago - told me I could ride Mona. She'd just warmed her up and wanted to see what I could do with her. So I got my helmet, abandoned all thoughts of exercising Mallory and April, and hopped on Mona.

Thankfully, I had my half chaps, because my legs are absolutely dying. I mentioned I pulled a muscle in the back of my left knee, right? If I didn't, now you know. It doesn't help that I tried to go running on Wednesday, tried to go rock climbing Thursday, and almost killed myself today slipping while walking into school. It hurts like nothing has ever hurt before. It didn't hurt too badly while I was riding, but I really felt it afterwards.

Anyways, the ride. I got on and we walked around three or four times. Then I asked for a trot and - woah - it's way different than even Pete's. It's so flowing, easy, and stretchy. By stretchy, I mean she really reaches with her front legs and supports with her backs. We did a few exercises with Kristen's instruction including turning on the forehand, half-pass, and began working on shoulder-in. I have to say, Mona is amazing. I love her. Her canter.. there are no words for it. It's like riding air, I swear; so smooth, so easygoing. She has a great headset, just the right personality; she's willing yet she'll be sure to let you know when you're doing something wrong. She's perfect.

After the ride, I got off and we put a cooler on her because she was a little sweaty. While she did that Kristen and I talked about various things - blankets, Lucy, bridles, bridle bags... etc - and just generally hung out. Then, we put Mona, Sonny and Pete (who were being used for lessons) in their stalls and brought the other ponies inside. Erica and I grained, hayed and watered and then went into the apartment to eat hot chocolate and gram crackers. Yumm.

Overall it was a brilliant night. I hope I get to do some dressage-y things in the future with Mona and/or Sonny. We'll see.

No comments: