Thursday, January 20, 2011

Quick, Short Post

I just wanted to share something that I found while perusing through my riding from last year. It's from the beginning of my NaNoWriMo novel, Racing Home. Here it is:

The mare’s hooves pounded on the dirt road, the air rushed out of her nostrils like thunder clouds, her eyes pierced the scenery before her like lightning striking trees. The two blended as one, more powerful than the wind whirling off of the ocean's thrashing waves. It was like magic, nothing any pair but a horse and rider could have. 


That's the first part I wanted to share. Here's another, about the main character's horse's birth {written in a 'flashback' moment}:





The little girl reached the barn and ran inside, not even bothering to pull the barn door shut completely behind her. Her father called out to her from the largest stall, held in the very back of the barn. She slid the door of the foaling stall open quietly, slipped inside, and shut it behind her. She crept on tiptoes over to the far wall, where her father crouched. The mare was laying on her side in the middle of the stall, stretched full out. Her sides heaved, her nostrils flared, and her ears were pinned violently.

Just minutes later, the new mother was on her feet, rapidly licking and chewing the air and the foal. Shaking what little mane it had, the foal nickered loudly to its mother, and attempted to stand. It stumbled, and fell, landing splayed on its belly. The little girl laughed, and her father shushed her quickly.

What do you guys think? Should I try to continue writing the story? :) I appreciate all of your guys' feedback and comments! Thanks:)

No comments: