Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bareback = My Kinda Thing

So today I had to take pics of Missy for 4H. So Mom drove me out to SBS after school and I went to get Missy, thinking I could snap a few pics and then get on and get a good ride in. Haha, wrong. She. Was. Filthy. As usual! So I take her into the barn (as Asia is walking out) and spend a good 30 minutes brushing her off and cleaning her hooves. Then I put the new rope halter and lead I got for Christmas on her (it's a little snug, and kinda sags on her cheekbones:( which means that it'll probably end up being Chief or Grinder's). She looks so good in blue, it's insane.:)

We walk outside and stand in the outdoor arena and I tell mom to just take a quick picture. I've got Missy lined up correctly - so that she's at an angle to the camera, so the picture will have all four feet, her body, and her head in it - and mom takes, like, three pictures. Then I told her to go back in the car (she was shivering) and took the camera. I got some really cute pictures that have kinda bad lighting cuz it was a dreary day and Missy wasn't really wanting to let me take pictures while trying to keep her from grazing on the newly-revealed grass; the snow is melting.:) But Mom has the camera and the connector cord thinggy, so I can't put the pictures in THIS post. But maybe in the next one! I promise I'll get them up eventually! I really wanna enter a photo contest with one of them; ya know, put a bunch of cool effects on it (if needed) and spiff it up. The usual stuff.

Anyways, after the pictures I took Missy in the barn and lunged her a LOT. I ask for a canter, she rears and bucks and paws at the air like Hi Ho Silver. I say "heeeeeere" and she reverses, kicks, bucks, rears. Her energy made me smile so big, I thought my face would fall off. After she'd gotten her energy out and was acting halfway normal, I did a little halter work with her.

I look at my phone and realize we still have 15 minutes, so I run to the tack room, grab the bridle and my helmet, and proceed to take a ride bareback. :) I have to say, I am an expert barebaker. We walked, trotted, cantered, and I even got her to begin a sidepass (I know, that's English, but I couldn't resist; she's too good at leg yielding to not ask her for it!!). She acted brilliant and when I turned her out, she trotted a few steps, then looked back at me over her shoulder, as if saying, "Are you coming?" I. Love. Missy.

'Nuff said.

3 comments:

Wolfie said...

I so envy that you are able to ride bareback. I am still just trying to stay in the saddle!! :-)

Rising Rainbow said...

Funny how when we need them to be clean, they seem to be their dirtiest, isn't it?

Sounds like you got some pictures that you like, though, that's a good thing.

Gabriella Elise said...

Wolfie - Oh, I've been riding bareback since I was 5! Both Erica and Lisa (my two trainers) say I have an uncanny talent for bareback riding.:)