First of all, I haven't ridden at Victory since my last post. Shovel sledding was the last time I went out there, and that was fun, but I still miss all of my ponies. :( But, at Sunnybrook... Lot's been going on.
I rode in the snow the other day. I tried Missy's new boots on her - they're blue Professional's Choice SMB II boots and bell boots. They fit her perfectly but I only have front ones; I need to locate and order a pair of back boots. We had a nice, calm ride in the snow and it was almost magical. I don't have any pictures, but I do have a picture (below) of me and Missy on New Year's Day (1/1/11) riding outside. We practiced rating and just stopping in general.
Missy's been feeling really great lately. Very energetic yet ready, willing, and easy to read. Our only problem is that she hates stopping. Flat out, complete stop. She just hates it, for no reason. So while we were practicing rating and stopping, we would use a little pile of hay (don't know where it came from, actually, haha) and trot up to it. We'd get to the beginning of our 'pocket' and just stop. I'd change the angle of my hips, sitting deep in my seat, and gently apply pressure on her mouth. If she didn't stop, I'd pull her head around away from the 'barrel' and make her do a tight circle until she stopped. When she stopped, we'd roll back away from the barrel and trot back to where we started, stopping at the starting point, turning, and beginning again. It was quite fun, especially at the canter and eventually a little faster canter, which Missy loved.

Today, Missy got her shoes pulled for winter, KD got shoes pulled also (since she's on stall rest after running through two hotwire fences and splitting her chest open, she really won't be needing shoes for another 8 weeks), and Chief got his borium shoes taken off. I got to keep Missy's shoes but I left them in Lisa's truck; we're going to re-use Chief's shoes since they're not worn down at all and it'll be good to save some money in the Spring, when we'll have to buy more hay, grain, supplements (for Lucy) and probably fork over some more cash for new shoeing and trimmings.
Grinder's doing so much better! He's rarely gimpy any more, but on 1/1/11 when I went out to ride, he was limping a little so I called Lisa to let her know. Since they'd recently moved pastures she said he'd get over it, and he did! Today he was completely fine, and I was very happy about that. Lucy's in great shape as well - I was going to ground drive her today but ended up just watching the farrier work instead. The twins went out and lunged Miss T for the first time in three months yesterday (1/2/11) and apparently it went well. I talked them out of riding, since Miss T really needs her feet done, and a lot more lunge and ground work until she can be ridden again. She's only 5, and after neglecting to take care of her for three months they just want to go and ride her and expect her to be perfect? Uh no. Not happening on my watch!
Also, I have a story to tell! Today Lisa, Jake, Ryleigh and I were all at the barn (after the farrier left) and we were going to collect some chicken eggs. Well, after gathering the eggs and on our way out of the coop, Lisa and I discovered that the chicken's water troughs/buckets were both empty. Both! So while waiting for them to re-fill, we decided to conquer our fear of picking up chickens. I've never, ever wanted to pick a chicken up and don't think I'll ever have the desire to again. Lisa has a phobia of sorts when it comes to picking up chickens, as well. So we each picked up the chicken - I think it ended up being the same chicken - and were jumping up and down in joy! Then, I dared Lisa to pick up the biggest, meanest, baddest chicken in the coop - the one I called Mean Henny Penny - and she accepted the challenge. We spent ten minutes chasing it around, and during the chase Ry (who was just trying to help!) got pushed over on her butt by Jake. :( She started crying but soon recovered, and finally we got Lisa's hen cornered. She picked it up and held it high like a trophy. :) I have a picture, but I'm not going to put it up here in case she doesn't want her picture posted. Anyways... then Lisa dared me to pick up "Zebra Chick". This chicken literally looks like a zebra! She's black and white striped and has weird eyes. We chased her for quite a while and finally, I picked her up! What a feat!

Anyways. I gotta run now - time's a-waste-in' and it's time to go shopping (meh) and eat out (yay!)! Hug your horses for me, all of you. I promise I'll get caught up on everything ASAP! Love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment