Saturday, January 8, 2011

ScIeNcE fAiR / pRoJeCt BaSeD lEaRnInG Part II

Alright, I talked to my science teacher on Friday and got some more ideas. Anyone wanna hear 'em?

I'm thinking on doing my project on horse treats - do horses have a preferred treat, if so what is it? Does the color matter? Which one is more nutritious? Could the horse's treat preference either enhance or demolish training?

All of these questions I asked my science teacher, and guess what she said? "Why don't you go ahead and figure that out?" :) Gotta love science teachers!

So, my questions to YOU guys: Do you use treats for your horse? Why or why not? Does your horse seem to enjoy them? What are some things your horse does when he/she eats a treat? Thanks guys! Ya'll rock:)

2 comments:

Wolfie said...

I just treat after our ride or lesson. I don't like to over treat. I personally think it can lead to other problems. It's usually a handful of Martin's Apple or Citrus treats/kibble or Stud Muffins. He loves both!

Rising Rainbow said...

I treat some of my horses but not all. The younger ones usually need to be taught to eat them, that's why I say not all. Sometimes it takes time to teach them and I have too many horses for that.

For treats I usually do the carrot thing. Neat, easy and cheap but they don't keep well like dry treats. Sometimes I use the dry ones and my horses seem to have no preferences so I get what's on sale or cheap.

I think whether or not they mess up training has to do with training in the first place. Horses that are well trained in social issues with humans are more likely to respect the boundary of only one treat or not know. Also horses that are taught they aren't in charge of when they eat will respect boundaries for treats instead of being aggressive about them.