Thursday, October 7, 2010

What I'm Looking For ~ Horse Search

When talking to my friends about my newfound horse search, many of them are asking what type of horse I'm looking for. Well, that's a really, really good question - and I guess you should know what exactly I am looking for before we go any further in our search, correct? =}

In a nutshell, I"m looking for a horse that has 4 legs, and has stop and go on command. Preferably a horse that's good on barrels, and I like horses that have color or that are very flashy. ;) Though, anything that can turn a barrel and that's halfway in shape for competition works; I'll pretty much take anything that is safe-ish and that is at a good price (free is good, too =). Anyone know someone giving away a horse in the Indianapolis / Muncie / Anderson area? If so, let me know! That is, if it can turn, stop, and go on command. You know, the basics. Not too hard to find.

Alright, now for the not-so-in-a-nutshell part. Y'all know what this means! List time! Okay, what I'm looking for look-wise:

  • Flashy color, preferably a roan, appaloosa or palomino (or something along those lines that you don't see every day) - absolutely no paints. Not that I'm against paints, but I'm not too fond of them, per say. 
  • Horses with two blue eyes are off limits. Period. One blue eye - okay, I can live with that - but two? Nope. Sorry, people with blue-eyed horses. I am very picky when it comes to eyes and color.
  • Good conformation. At least, conformation that can hold up to heavy work and feet that aren't too small for the body, and not very obvious post legs. 
  • Good feet is a must. No matter what I say after this about appearance, good feet is a must, must, must, must, must have. I have had WAY too many lame horses in my life to get yet another one. =)
Other than the feet, the appearance fanatics is completely optional. The only must must must thing is good feet and legs. The rest is totally optional. The following - the functional things I'm looking for - is not optional. If the horse doesn't have / do most of these things, I'm not considering it. Period.
  • Speed. Not necessarily the fastest horse in the world, but it's gotta have a motor - and preferably from behind. 
  • Agility; the horse needs to be able to bend around barrels and not rubber neck itself around the place. Same with poles - the horse can't feel like a board when you're riding it. It needs to bend.
  • A history in barrel racing. If the horse can't safely lope a pattern, it's off the list.
  • Good temper. I'm not one for dead head horses, but that's okay. What I really don't want is a horse that is so out of control that you are clutching the reins and struggling to keep the horse at a run. No extremities, please!
  • A brain! I really, really, really don't want a horse that doesn't think with its brain, but with its body. If there's one thing I'm really hesitant with, it's horses that can't think too much for themselves. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with horses that need a little direction from their rider (not 'push-button' horses). I love horses that need a bit of dependence, just not ones that need all of it. =)
Is that easy enough? Anything I need to add? Later guys! ;)

No comments: