I rode Missy out back today. It was so quiet, so peaceful, it made me smile. I found myself talking; to Missy, to God, to the trees, or to the ground, I didn't quite know. But I was talking about everything I could think of. Everything that made me want to scream or cry or laugh. The quietness of the world, with just the rustle of the trees or the call of the bird, was beckoning to me. Everything out there made me want to become a part of the ground, of the sky, of the trees.
Missy listened to me. She walked when I wanted her to. She changed paths when the one ahead looked dangerous. She trotted with grace, cantered with ease. All at a slow, steady pace. It was chilling, refreshing. I let her walk over the rocks in a path, and we turned onto a long strip of empty path. Perfect, I thought. I leaned forward, whispered in her ear. She danced, I smiled. Both of us focused forward, ready.
We ran.
Taking off at a blazing speed, in a dead run. Missy's sides heaving under my legs, her sweat rolling off of her chest. Her ears forward, legs reaching. She ate up the ground, and whatever might have remained became a memory as we blazed forward. Our speed was like fire. We destroyed anything and everything in our way. It was amazing. It was just like the old days; me running Emmy as fast as I wanted, whenever and wherever I wanted. It felt so, so good.



No comments:
Post a Comment