![]() |
| Sweet sweet Grinder. I love his eyes... they are so soulful, they speak to you! |
Now, a little more in-depth information about my ride.
I arrived and talked to Lisa - who had Grinder in cross-ties and was getting ready to soak his hoof - for a minute before heading out to get Missy. Actually, I was just kind of killing time until the rain stopped, but who cares? I did it anyways! I ran outside between bouts of violent rain and grabbed Missy. Poor Lucy girl wanted to come along! One of these days I'll bring her inside and groom her and tell her what a pretty, beautiful, good girl she is. =)
Anyways, I took Missy inside and put her in the second, less-used grooming stall. I brushed her coat so that it lay as flat as possible when it was wet, and then picked her hooves. She had so much gravel and mud packed into those hooves, I'm surprised she could still walk, they must've been so heavy! I'm more surprised that Missy still has all four shoes on; I thought she would've lost one by now, since she hasn't had them on in such a long time. I threw a saddle and bridle on and waited for Lisa to wrap Grinder's foot before heading to the arena / round pen.
I hopped on and let her walk around a bit before asking for a trot. We worked on different speeds at the trot, with lots of circles, spirals, serpentines, and figure-8's. Then, I asked for a canter and we worked on tight turns, roll backs, figure-8's, and switching direction across the diagonal at a canter. Missy picked up very quickly on all of this, and even broke to a trot across the diagonal to change leads without me asking. We practiced quick stops and changing gaits randomly. When we were finished, we walked around a LOT. I asked for a lot of flexing and once, when Missy was getting a little bored with walking, I made her stop, then canter, then I asked for a sliding stop. It worked! No, not a professional sliding stop - but it was a sliding stop. And it was brilliant! =) We walked it out and were done.
When I put Missy up and while waiting for my dad (I had 45 minutes until he got there), I watched Uncle David and Troy hoist the tractor up onto Uncle Stephen's flat bed trailer to take to the shop. Apparently, they finally decided that it's crucial to have a tractor for winter! Especially since today, we got 30 round bales - free! Joy! ;)
That's about it... What a great day! Gotta love those rainy days... they're good days for PARTIES! Just kidding!
![]() |
| His poor hooves! Look at his LF (the hoof on the right in this picture) - you can't see it very well because the light is crappy and he was standing on his toe, but it's wrapped and duct-taped. =( |
![]() |
| Left to right: Misty ("Missy" #2, Mary Katherine & Elizabeth's horse), Missy, and Lucy. Lucy's face is blocked by the tree. Oopsies! |



No comments:
Post a Comment