Western Bridles ~ Single Ear, Double Ear, No Ear, Browband
There are so many types of western bridles, it's hard to start with just one. But for now, we'll look at single eared bridles. Typically, this is the type of bridle you will see in the western pleasure ring. It's the most common type of brow band / crown piece that you'll see, at least in the AQHA ring. Here are some examples:


Double eared bridles are different. I have seen lots of double eared bridles in my life, but I've never seen one being ridden in or shown in. I have one that should fit Missy, but the ear pieces are wayyyyy too small. Like, they don't even fit over the tips of her ears without pain and lots of squeezing, and don't even start with me about getting them off. ;) Shall we see some pictures of the fabulous, little-seen double-eared bridle? We shall!


Then, we have no eared headstalls / bridles. These bridles are usually used for casual riding or trail riding, for without ear pieces or a brow band, bridles could easily slip off. We don't want that! A bridle falling off is especially easy without a throat latch or nose band / cavesson. At the time, I can't find a single picture of a no-eared headstall. So, we're going to have to go without.
Bridles with a browband are the most traditional type of bridle. The very first bridles were made with brow bands, and you still sometimes see horses showing with brow bands instead of eared headstalls. Its different, yes, but traditional.


Well, that's about it for now! I hope you enjoyed the pictures. The next edition of this series shall include saddles! Barrel saddles, roping saddles, pleasure saddles....
No comments:
Post a Comment