Friday, April 23, 2010

Three Times' A Charm - Part 1

Everyone knows that saying 'three times' a charm,' right? Well, I've realized that that saying truly has meaning. Wanna hear ALL about it? Well, here goes:


Yesterday (yes, Thursday) I was out at the barn. Recently, I've been riding without the running martingale that I've been using on Tarzan. Yesterday was the third time we've ridden without it. Well, third times' the charm. I rode Zan without the martingale for at least an hour and a half, and Tarzan only stopped THREE TIMES! It was awesome! He did so well, he listen to me, was nice and quiet, and after we passed the 15 minute mark of riding, he was extremely good. We went over the poles once (YES! I finally get my non-athletic horse to do something!) and we ALMOST jumped... but at last minute I decided not to torture my horse much longer. ;) Isabelle and Alana (and Alana's mom, surprisingly) came and rode for their lesson (and a bit longer) and it was so awesome. Isabelle cantered on Pete for the first time, Alana rode April and cantered on her for only the second time after a 4 month break from riding, and Alana's dressage-riding mom rode Sonny and handled him extremely well. Tarzan was such a good boy, and I learned that third times' a charm.

Before I rode Tarzan, I (literally) threw a saddle on Sonny, popped (literally) a bit into his mouth and buckled my helmet on. I jumped on and walked him around outside once, trotted around once, and then cantered both ways. It took about 10 minutes, and then I untacked him and stuck him in his stall. Sonny does so well with an experienced rider, if Kristen and Madison were to let me ride him in 4H, I could blow everyone away. I promise. ;) Oh, well, I guess not.

Davis (Katie's boyfriend) gave Katie (riding Mallory) and I dollar bills so that we could play the ride-a-buck game. I lost (stupid saddle, I hate how it makes it hard to grip with your knees) the game, and Katie won. It was a really close game, though, so I'm alright with it. We tried to play again, but it didn't work because there were other people in the arena (outside arena) by that time. Davis wanted to ride Mallory, so we went and rode in the lot right behind the house (the little one, not the big one) and Katie led Davis around while I rode Tarzan. Zan was such a good boy. He was a little angel. ;) Mallory didn't do too bad, either, even when Davis made her trot.

I got to jump April REALLY quickly after I rode Tarzan (I got to ride Mallory for a few minutes, but that was a massive FAIL), and I think it was sloppy the first time and really fast. The second time, though, we were a bit slower and a itsy bitsy bit less sloppy. All in all, it was a good day.

One more thing: Taco's not feeling well. His back legs are really stiff, and he takes tiny steps with his back legs. He was out in the dry lot (which is actually the outdoor arena) all day, and then went inside to eat his food while all of us rode. I hope he feels better... I'll check in with ya'll with an update later. ;) That's it! Bye bye!

No comments: