Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Monday Madness - Sort Of

Okay, not really madness. But sort of, in a way. Confusing, I know; I can be that way sometimes, in case you haven't noticed.

Monday was - thankfully - one of those days that made my heart swell with happiness and my mind race with 'I can't wait for' thoughts. At the end of the ride, I was just so happy it felt as if I'd never be happier (but of course, I have been happier, but that's a story for another time). By now, you're probably thinking, "What one earth did she do yesterday to make her so happy?" Might as well explain, right? Here goes.

I'd been planning on riding in my breeches and hunt boots yesterday, but after school Erica texted me asking if I would ride Sonny after I rode Tarzan and if I could stay after a bit for that.Of course, I did all I could to make sure I could stay after and ride Sonny after I  rode Tarzan. Of course, it all worked out just fine. But, I hate riding Sonny in breeches, for it's just so much more challenging (breeches are extremely slippery - at least to me, that is).

Mom picked Claire and I up from school and we ran to the house to grab food and for me to grab my western boots. Then, we zoomed over to Premiere Dance Company to drop Hannah off for dance. After that, we sped to Victory and Claire and I got out.

Erica wasn't at the barn (she was at the house) so Claire and I went out and got Pete and Tarzan. Tarzan didn't give me much trouble, 'cuz I had a pepper mint ( Ha, I fooled you, Tarzan! ) and as usual Pete was a good boy for Claire. We walked slowly - way too slow for me, anyways - up to the barn. When we got up to the barn, we ran in and I brushed Tarzan in no time at all. Claire was having a bit of trouble with Pete, so I helped her and then ran a rubber curry over Pete to get some dirt and shedding fur off of him. We proceeded to throw the saddles on real quickly as Annika arrived, fetched April, brushed, and began to tack up.

All three of us (Annika, Claire, and I) started riding inside. When Claire and Annika went outside with Erica - it was getting dusty in the arena, which is not good for the horses' lungs or ours - I cantered Tarzan once his good way. By then, the dust was so thick I could barely see ten feet in front of me. So I trotted Tarzan outside. Erica made us to sitting and posting trots. I aced the posting trot, as always, and barely managed the sitting trot. I have to say, I need some work: I am still bouncing around quite a lot at the sitting trot, even after nearly 7 years of riding. Anyways, then we had to do serpentines, which was just disastrous the first few tries (all of us got better after about 2 tries) but eventually was awesome. Then, we had to do a pattern; we trotted a bit after that and VIOLA! we're done! I untacked Tarzan at the speed of light, and then attempted to create a bridle path on Tarzan.

I hunted down a pair of scissors, and hung them by Tarzan's stall. Next, to locate a bucket. I found a bucked filled with water and attempted (emphasis on attempted) to dump it in the arena. Yes, I got water all over me. Yes, people were watching. Yes, people laughed. Yes, I was humiliated. Yes, I will probably do that again in the long run. Anyway, I got my bucket and then tied Tarzan inside his stall so that he wouldn't squirm. I stood on the bucket and took scissors to Tarzan's mane. I only cut off about four inches from the middle of his ears back. It was sloppy - I need a pair of clippers to do it right - but it'll do for now.

Anyway, after that I turned Tarzan out and then went out to fetch Sonny. I got the little butthead after a few attempts. As we were walking to the barn, he kept trying to make me fall down. I couldn't let him do that - knocking a rider down is a HUGE no-no - so I gave him a good solid slap on the muzzle after he did that. Nope, he didn't do it again. Oh, the magic of asserting your authority. =) I put Sonny in the cross ties, taking about five minutes to make him stand still politely before I left him, and went to fetch the brushes.

I swept the hardbrush over Sonny very quickly, made him let me pick his hooves politely, and then grabbed my saddle and saddle pad. I used Madison's girth and bridle, threw on my helmet and brought Sonny into the arena.

I decided to gauge rather Sonny would listen to me while I was riding as easily as he did while I was on the ground. In order to do that, I made him trot around the arena several times, slowly yet surely slowing him until we had a nice, slow trot going on. I was pleased enough with that, and I brought Sonny outside. I rode during Bailey (riding Pete) and her little brother's (riding Taco) lesson. I cantered a few times after Bailey and her little brother were finished with their lessons - might I mention that I HATE Sonny's canter? - and was alright with Sonny and I's cooperation level. I even made Sonny do a few sidepasses and things (he's been trained in dessage and such diciplines) that were extremely cool but felt weird. Anyway, moving on...

Erica finished with Bailey and her little brother and then came and told me to show her how well I could work with Sonny. I walked, trotted, and cantered Sonny both ways and Erica was extremely pleased. As I cooled Sonny out, Erica went over to the house to get lasagna and she told me that I did a great job. =D

After I'd untacked Sonny (again, in the crossties; it took another few minutes to get him to stand still politely and quietly), I had quite a grooming job ahead of me. I rubber curried Sonny all over, and he loved that. Then, I took the hardbrush to his coat. By the time he was finished, he looked half decent; at least, as decent as a sweaty horse can be. ;) I turned him out and Erica and I left for the day.

Might I mention that during my ride on Sonny, I watched Joe lay down and take a nap in the field? It was so adorable, especially because Joe isn't usually the horse that acts cute. I wish I'd gotten a picture, but I couldn't; oh well, it makes a good memory anyways.

That's Monday madness for you. Well, I guess it was Monday madness - sort of.

No comments: