Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday?!? Aready? You're Kidding

Ah, Friday at last. This is how we know the weekend is coming. Actually, there are a few ways that we know the weekend is coming. 1) Rascal refuses to come inside for dinner, 2) I don't want to leave the barn, and 3) I am jumping for joy at the fact that now I have a long weekend to sit back and relax.

Today, Ann didn't show up for the lesson. This time, she didn't even call ahead to say that she couldn't make it. So, Erica even had brought Sonny in - after I tried but failed (long story) - and then Ann didn't show up. Again. Thankfully, we had to bring the ponies in after Isabelle's lesson anyways, so we could just leave Sonny inside. ;) A new girl (who took lessons last year, but since she lives on a farm had to stop riding for planting season) who happens to be Isabelle's friend rode with us today. She was a pretty good rider last  year, but the season's lay off seems to have affected her riding quite a bit. Isabelle's friend rode April (of course... who else?!?) and Isabelle rode Pete. Of course, I rode Tarzan.

Quickly brushing and saddling, I had Tarzan in the arena and was getting on as the other two were saddling up. I was so proud of my quickness that I couldn't help but push Tarzan into a victory trot. After both of us settled down, we proceeded with our lesson. Now, today, I wore my breeches (don't laugh) to ride because I must practice for May 22nd (Tarzan and I's first show together), and we also played The Game. I'll bet you're all like, "Is it that one game where if you think about the game you lose the game?" Well, no. But if it was, then you would've just lost, ya know.

Anyways, this game is where everyone gets one or two pieces of paper (depending on how easy/hard you want the game to be) and puts the paper between their knee and the saddle. Everyone has to go through the routine - walk, trot, jumping position, canter, etc. - and the last person with their papers still with them wins. We sometimes play that whoever loses has to pick up the poop out of the arena. Yea, I love it when we play that game... and I love it when we play that game when I'm wearing my breeches, because then it's even easier than when I don't wear breeches! Moving on...

I got to canter once our good way. It went pretty well; Tarzan's strides were slow and controlled, and I sat my canter extremely well (thank you, Sonny, for teaching me how to sit my canter). Now all we need to work on with our good-way canter is keeping Tarzan's head tucked in. When we cantered our bad way the first time, Tarzan's canter was sloppy, drawn out, and F-A-S-T. I did tight circles, pulled on my outside reign while reinforcing with my inside leg, but nothing slowed him down. So I used out old trick (that I actually hate using and only use when completely necessary): I whipped his head around to the wall.

Horses don't like to hurt themselves. Thanks to that, when you turn their head towards a solid wall and they have no choice but to stop or risk running through the wall, they usually stop. Yes, Tarzan stopped. As soon as he stood still, I made him back up four steps just to show him I'm in charge and he can't run away with me that easily. After that, we had to go back to trotting for a while. But when Isabelle and her friend Alana got off, I cantered Tarzan once more his bad way. This time, our canter was a bit more controlled and slow; still, we have lots of work to do.

After I put Tarzan away and Isabelle and Alana left, Erica and I quickly hayed and watered and grained each horse's stall. Then, we attempted to bring the horses in. Attempted. None of the girls wanted to come in, and it took maybe ten minutes for them to finally get settled into their stalls. Then, we brought the boys in. We almost had to take the Chuck Wagon out into the field to chase the horses up to the barn, 'cuz none of them came running as they usually do! In the end, though, all of them except for Rascal came inside. When Erica and I left, we just left Rascal out in the far end of the back field (where he was). That's how things go 'round here - If they don't come in, leave 'em. They're missing out on a good meal of hay and grain, but it's their loss, not ours. Sucks for them.

It was a wonderful ride overall. I'm so glad it's Friday! Can't wait until May 22nd... it's only 43 days away. But who's counting? =P

No comments: