As we were visiting Sonny, I saw two men pull their truck up to one of the trailers parked in the 'trailer lot' at Victory and hook up the trailer. I was a bit puzzled at this, but nonetheless continued on. A few minutes later, while we were examining Rascal's eye, one of the men entered the mares' (and Taco's) field and caught Mona. Again a few minutes later, both men came into the geldings' field and attempted to catch Spider. Well, I showed them up and walked right up to Spider (who ran away from the men) and grabbed his mane. I let go and put my hands on my hips to watch the men, and Spider trotted over to Mom, who grabbed his mane and didn't let go until the man had caught Spider. That's when the men told us: Spider was for sale. My heart jumped at this, because Spider is - obviously - an appaloosa, and I have always wanted an appaloosa horse. Basically, Mom said that if I can convince his owners to give him away, I can probably (maybe) have Spider! I'm so excited! I know, I know - don't get your hopes up, you'll only be disappointed. But I can't help it!
Anyways, we then had to leave, for Luke was getting anxious and we ran to Toys'R'Us for a bit. When we came back, Erica was there and I went to catch Tarzan after saying hello to Madison and her mom, Kristen. I walked all the way to the far end of the field... and then all of the horses, including Tarzan, ran up to the barn. Yep, I had to walk allllll the way back to the barn to catch Tarzan. When I finally had him, I quickly threw a saddle on him, 'cuz Madison was already on Sonny.
After warming up (ya know, the basic trot both ways and walking in between), Erica told me to go out to the outside arena. Eric (Erica's dad) had drug the outdoor arena, so it was really nice and smooth. Tarzan and I got a really nice canter going when we went Tarzan's good way. Tarzan's strides weren't too choppy and not too long, and he wasn't too fast at all. I sat my canter extremely well. When I slowed Tarzan to a walk, he started his little stop'n'go thing again. Even when we reversed and cantered out bad way, he still kept his stop'n'go thing going. Anyways, our canter his 'bad way' was unusually bad, with very short, choppy strides and going really fast. I stood in my stirrups (I've been working on NOT doing that) and pulled Tarzan down to a stop. That was my biggest mistake of the day. Then, Tarzan didn't want to keep going. So I stabbed him in the sides with my heels, kicked, squeezed with my legs, used the reigns to hit his shoulder, and finally got him going. We walked a bit and then trotted a lot. That entire routine was repeated a bunch of times - with the same results the entire time - and then it was time to get off. I got off, un-tacked Tarzan, and put him away after loving on him a bit.
By the time I walked over to Erica to ask if I should start giving the horses hay (I only had to hay the boarder side of the barn, and I didn't have to hay Spider and Mona, since their owners took them to the vet), Madison had climbed into the hay loft. She had no clue what to do, so I helped her hay the boarder side, minus Spider and Mona, and hit my head on one of the ceiling beams of the barn (ouch). Then, I gave grain to Rainmaker (Madison, Erica, and Eric grained the rest of the horses). Madison, Eric, and Kristen left and it was just Erica and I. I told Erica that I really wanted a pop, so I went and grabbed an orange soda from the fridge. Erica drank half of it, even though she told me she would just drink a sip. When we left, we grabbed another orange soda and drank that one together, too. ;)
Here's what was the most hilarious thing about the whole night. Actually, two things: 1) Erica accidentally ripped her pants when she had to get on Sonny because he wouldn't behave, and 2) Madison fell off of Sonny! After Madison fell off, Erica and Madison lunged Sonny at a canter to get some excess energy out of him. It was a pretty fun night, actually. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are my favorite days of the week. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment