Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bareback It Up!

Today Erica picked me up from the house at 4 pm. And she brought coffee, which I so totally needed after half an hour of homework.

Anyone who brings me coffee gets major points in my book. I don't live off of coffee, but when I need caffeine and don't have any soda, I turn to coffee instead. I really, really needed coffee today. Why? Well. Right after school, I stood in the freezing cold for 10 minutes with just a fleece, until Gabe (I know, ironic, Gabe & Gabby; he's my valentine btw) came outside and gave me his other jacket and waited with me for another 10 minutes in the cold. Finally mom took me home and I did homework for a half hour until Erica got there. By the time she arrived, my brain was hurting. Coffee fixed all my problems, thank goodness.

We got to the barn and I grabbed Pete while Erica grabbed Mallory. Well, tried to get Mallory. I had to help her corner the dang horse. The plan was to rise two horses each in an hour. I got on Pete bareback and Erica jumped on Mallory bareback.

I worked Pete pretty well, and even took him over a jump a couple times. I've officially earned the nickname "cement butt". Meaning, cement as in really stuck, to the saddle. Pete spooked THREE TIMES in the course of, oh I don't know, maybe 10 minutes. I stayed on every time, even when he jumped sideways, bucked, and tried to run. Goodness gracious boy!

After that, Erica rode April and I rode Sonny. It was a short ride with not much except trotting and one small jump. We got off, brought horses in, and watered and grained.

One last thing - Kota apparently has contracted heels, thrush, and bad hoof angles. According to a demented farrier who no one but Taylor's family trusts. They bough him different bedding, two more supplements to add to his grain along with the original one, and asked he only goes outside for a few hours. What horse needs to live like that?!?! Do they think they can just order someone to let their horse outside at a certain time, and expect someone to be home or at the barn at all times? This is utterly ridiculous. I'l explain in more detail later.

If you're a boarder, when do you draw the line between asking the BO or stable hand for a favor, and demanding they do something for you? BOs, where do YOU draw the line? Anyone who feeds supplements: how many supplements are too many? How do you decide what farriers and vets to trust?

1 comment:

Mare said...

I don't ever demand that anyone do anything for me, but that's just my personality. I'm more of an ask nicely kinda person. While I may technically be a boarder, I also have had to deal with demanding boarders. And since they are paying board, we try to keep them happy, but there comes a point where the mutual relashionship has to be developed, and BOs have to be good BOs and boarders have to learn how to be good boarders.

Vet wise, I'm very lucky, I love my vet. He's awesome and is always showing me stuff, helping me learn. I don't like farriers that mess up horse's feet. Granted, everyone makes mistakes, but I want a farrier that knows what he's doing and isn't going to make my horse permanently lame. Sounds like you have a case of possibly bad farrier mixed with clueless owners, though I don't honestly know enough to make judgement...