Saturday, November 13, 2010

Ride On Mallory

Yesterday at Victory, I went out with Erica. I literally ran out into the field to get Sonny and Erica went to get Glory (she's riding Glory now! yay!). We brought them in, threw saddles on them, and... attempted to hop on.

Glory made a fuss of standing still next to the mounting block for Erica to get on. I think Erica should've used the 'trap trick' that I used with Zan. See, the mounting block is next to a wall, but there's enough space between the wall and the block that you can get a horse between there. So, if you get said horse over between the wall and mounting block, and get it to not back up or barge forward, it's a great way to make sure your horse stands still. I've only had one horse that this didn't work on, and that was Tommy, but he's huge anyways and was blind in one eye, so I understand his reasons for really, really not liking that.

Anyways, I walked Sonny for a while, working on getting him to bend and set his head. He would set his head and chew or lick on the bit, then we would circle; and it would be one of the best circles we've ever done. And then we'd do it again, and that circle would be even better, even more supple, even more tuned to my legs and hands. We would trot this exercise, and he would bend easily around my leg. When we did serpentines, they would be perfectly round, balanced, and simply... perfect.

We cantered. And boy, do I love his canter on a good day. It's so rocky, yet it flows when you get the right speed. I got him to set his head - which he hasn't wanted to do lately - and do a nice flying change across the diagonal.

Then, the fun with Sonny ended, for Erica's lesson was there and wanted her horse. So I got off like a good little girl and untacked Glory for Erica so that Erica could get to her lesson.

Katie came over and I helped her bring Mallory in for her medicine. We put her in her stall and prepared her shot. Then, Katie put the twitch on her (Mal freaks out about shots) and I went to get Erica. Erica's the only one who's allowed to give shots other than Eric, you see, because Katie gets queasy and I haven't learned how yet.

Then Katie left me to ride Mallory and with Mallory's 'leg goop' medicine to paint onto her leg after our ride. I got to use KATIE'S SADDLE (it's a phenomenon, Katie's saddle... it's like a dream...) on Mal.

We walked and trotted a lot, since Mallory can't canter under saddle quite yet as she's recovering from the puncture wound on her leg. I have to say, I absolutely am in love with Mallory's trot. It's smooth, but not overly smooth... it's almost like therapy to ride her trot. Too bad she is way too fast and uncontrollable for any kid to ride. I love her anyways though! Erica and I were talking later and we realized that there's always something to do with Mallory, even if you are riding walk/trot. But if you could only do walk/trot on April or Sonny, things would just get boring; there's really not much to work on.

Bottom line, I had fun, and I almost got to ride Kota but at the last minute Taylor told me not to. So, yup, good day, good times, good rides, good ponies.

Give your ponies kisses for me!!

2 comments:

Mare said...

New to the blog, but that sounds like a good day to me!

Gabriella Elise said...

Welcome to the blog! Thanks for following!:))