Today was one of the most productive days at SunnyBrook in a while. I rode Missy out in the *future* arena with Lisa on Chief. It was so. much. fun. We'd actually planned on trail riding out back, but by the time we were done procrastinating, it was almost dark. God provided us with splendid arena lights though; the full moon shone brightly and had many stars to accompany it. As Missy and I walked, trotted, and cantered along, I felt a sense of peace. Almost as if nothing was in my way. I have a really, really good feeling about the show on Sunday. It's gonna be a good one.
After our ride in the future outdoor arena, I went inside and pulled Missy's tack off, stuck her in a stall, and went to the round pen (where Lisa had taken Chief) and saw Troy on Chief! That was a sight to see, and it looked like the two boys got along great. Troy walked Chief around a bit more, and then - guess what! Lisa told ME to ride Chief! I finally, finally got a chance to ride my horse. Though, he wasn't at his best because his 3-year-old attention span was long spent. He walked nicely for a bit but when we decided to trot, he didn't want to. I think my legs are going to be sore from kicking so much, if not from squeezing his sides to get him to go forward. We ended on a good note of trotting around the round pen once continually, then walking once, then going into the middle of the arena, stopping, and backing.
We put Chief into a stall and got Grinder and Lucy out. Troy picked and conditioned all four of Grinder's hooves, and then picked three of Lucy's hooves. I picked one of Lucy's hooves but (I know this is a bad excuse) my back, right shoulder, right arm, and core hurt really badly and I couldn't stand being bent over that long, especially holding Lucy's monster hoof. I then treated all four of her hooves, and gave her a treat. I unclipped her cross ties and she laid her head on my left shoulder. That made me want to cry. To think that someone had the nerve to neglect, ignore, and starve Lucy just makes me sick. She is such a sweet horse even though she didn't grow up with love. I love her with all my heart, and I hope I never, ever have to let her go. Ever. Between me and my friends, there have been quite enough horses lost the past year and I'm just sick of hearing all of the bad news.
On that note, I'd like to share that one of my friends lost her Halflinger stallion Wayne today. Wayne had a bad knee, then he injured his good front leg and struggled. I think Amanda (Wayne's mom) made the best decision she could have made when she let him go today. Sweet sweet Wayne will be mist. R.I.P. little guy. I hope you're living a pain-free, happy life with as many mares, treats, and bundles of hay that your little heart desires! Wayne will be missed. Amanda and Wayne will be in my thoughts and prayers tonight as I chill out at home. Amanda, if you're reading this, I'd like to say that you are one of the greatest owners out there to be able to make the decision that was best for Wayne, even if it hurt your heart. We all know how hard it is to let a horse go, but sometimes it's all you can do. It's a final blessing you can give to them, and I am certain that you gave it to Wayne today. Much love to you!
1 comment:
Thank you. *hugs* I miss Wayne a great deal, but I know it was the right thing to do.
Post a Comment