Wednesday, November 17, 2010

It's Just Mud. It's Just Mud. It's Just Mud...

This is what's running through my mind as I stand at the gate to Missy, Grinder, and Miss T (formerly Misty, but her name got changed AGAIN)'s pasture. Grinder and Miss T were nearly mud-less, but Missy was - of course - covered from ear tip to hoof with mud. Of course. That horse is 23 years old, and boy she isn't holding back on having fun in her life. She knows how to make things funny.

So I bring Missy inside and spend a half hour brushing the dirt off of her and getting the mud out of her hooves. I then saddled up and went to attempt and ride outside. The ground was way too muddy, so we went into the round pen and rode in there for a while. Missy got a good work out, and Lucy and Chief watched us from their pasture right beside the round pen/arena for our entire ride. After my ride on Missy, I conditioned her feet and put her back outside with Grinder and Miss T.

Next was time for me to get Lucy and Lisa to get Chief. We put both of them in crossties and brushed them for a while. I realized today that even though Lucy was so good at picking up her feet when I was riding her, she's turned mean with them. We have lots of work to do there! I just need to suck it up and get to it. I combed out her mane and tail and fed her treats; what I asked her to do was drop her head when I touched her poll. Every time she gave to the pressure, she got a click of my tongue and a treat. Good girl!

Lisa and I took our project ponies for a little walk around the barn. We explored gates, lawn mowers, other horses, and - OMG, THE TRASHCAN. There was a big grain bag in the trash can and it was so scary. Omigosh, it was gonna EAT LUCY! Ha. Lucy was so scared to go near the trash can. She eventually let me get so far as to put the bag on her neck, almost touching her ears; you have to understand, Lucy is somewhat headshy so this is a big accomplishment for her. Chief was completely fine with the bag and the trashcan and was just... chillin'.

Then, Lisa lunged Chief while I worked with Lucy on her listening to me more. I've found that since she went lame, we've had a lot of issues with her trusting me, listening to me, and respecting me.

Hey, we're working on it. Gotta give us credit for that!! =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Working on it is the trick - even little things make a big difference in the long run.