I met Lisa at the barn after school, and we sat down in the camper to do homework. When I finished and Lisa felt she was ready for a break, we went inside the barn to do some saddle, bridle, and girth work. Did I mention that last Wednesday (the ONE Wednesday Lisa wasn't there, thank God, I don't think I could've faced her!), I broke the back girth on Lisa's saddle? Uncle D had sent my saddle off to have part of the part under the skirt replaced (it was tearing), so I've been in Lisa's barrel racing saddle even when I'm not barrel racing. See, my saddle is a pleasure saddle, and so when I barrel race, I use Lisa's, but now that mine is in the shop, I've been using Lisa's all the time...
Anyways, we went inside and replaced the part of the girth that I (*ahem,* the gate) broke. Then Lisa worked on putting the bit we bought for Chief on one of the old headstalls while I went to get Missy. I tacked Missy up after a loooong 20 minutes spend cleaning up the (always) messy horse. We used front boots and bell boots today - since the show is just FIVE DAYS away, we need to start using the boots again.
Our ride was so good. I was determined to get a ride and at least one barrel run in before it got completely dark. I'm very happy to say that my previous plan - the one about giving Missy a break off of the barrels after my last show - has worked. Missy has stopped doing the pop-her-shoulder-out, rubberneck-around-the-barrel thing; ya'll have no idea how happy that makes me!!! I was actually starting to wonder if it was a physical issue, since she did it all the time and only turning left. But she's stopped doing it, so I guess it was just anticipation and overeagerness.
When I ride, it's like heaven. Like nothing exists except for me, the horse, and the road laid out before us. I love how when I'm riding - especially alone - I can just relax and think. I can sing, dance, whistle, shout, talk, hum, whatever I want to do. My horse listens. Every. Single. Time. I love it, I truly do.
Tonight, Lisa and I made a plan. A nice plan.
See, now Lisa and I both have our project horses. Lisa has Chief and Grinder (she said I should concentrate on my pony for now), and I have Lucy. Lucy, Lucy, Lucy. Anyways, we're going to get a hold of the Clinton Anderson series; ALL of it. We're gong to keep it in the camper and every time we're out there, we'll watch a lesson, then go get our project ponies and work on it until we've got it. This means no holes in training, and the satisfaction of having re-trained my rescue horse.
--------------
Now I'd like to share a few things. WARNING: SADNESS AHEAD. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
My friend Mare from Simply Horse Crazy just recently posted here about a horse, Spunky, that was recently put down. I'd like to just ask everyone to keep Spunky, Spunky's owner, and Mare in your thoughts and prayers. From what I've read/heard, Spunky was a great horse who cared for everyone, yet had a lot of character. Losing a horse is one of the hardest things an owner can do, but it's an act of kindness that you can only certain people can give their horses. Mare, I'm sending hopeful thoughts for you guys, praying for you guys. Much love is being sent your way!
---------------
Tomorrow, I'm headed off to Victory. Wednesday is Sunnybrook. Friday is Sunnybrook. Sunday is... the show! Wish me luck!!
2 comments:
"When I ride, it's like heaven. Like nothing exists except for me, the horse, and the road laid out before us. I love how when I'm riding - especially alone - I can just relax and think. I can sing, dance, whistle, shout, talk, hum, whatever I want to do. My horse listens. Every. Single. Time. I love it, I truly do." What a wonderful description. Thank you for sharing.
Good luck on Sunday!!!
Thanks Wolfie!!
Post a Comment