Thursday, August 19, 2010

Indiana State Fair

On Tuesday, August 17, my mom, sister, brother, and cousin Jenna Ivy went to the Indiana State Fair. Instead of rambling and babbling on and on and on, I think I'll just tell of the day in pictures (and a few captions).
Don't worry... I'll make a really long post soon enough to make up for all of the days that I haven't posted very many words. Though, I'll bet most of you prefer it that I don't talk - for I can be annoying some times. =) Hey, at least I admit it, right?

At the Fair, there are... Donkeys....
Pony rides (Jenna Ivy got a pony ride, and a sticker that said, "I rode a pony!")...
Elephant rides...
Fun statues of a random old man with a donkey (!)....
And lots of animals, including cows....

Carriage horses tacked up and left in their stall (*cringe*)....

Pigs!....
And chicks (baby chickens)!
My, there were HUNDREDS of tractors.

There was even this really cool tent-like place that made tin animals and people. The two statues on the arch by the doorway was a tin man and a tin woman. Yes, made out of tin! And just like the Wizard of Oz!
And sitting a few steps from the entry way was a statue of a cat and a dog made out of tin, metal, and used car parts - 
After that exhibit, we went to the "Make A Sail Boat" exhibit that was by a few ponds, which contained many, many fish. Most of them were very funny-looking. =D
After seeing the fish, my sister (Hannah) stopped to look at a few flowers next to a stand giving out free ice cream:
Just past that, there were two GINORMOUS statues. Jenna Ivy was the only volunteer to get her picture taken with the "BIG peoples!"

On part of the sidewalk was the 4H symbol (this might be one of my favorite non-animal pictures of the day).
And nearby, a dog competition was going on.
Mom took Jenna on a carousel ride. Does anyone else ever notice the faces of the carousel horses? They look like they're in pain! Even the zebras look tortured!

In the Pepsi Coliseum, the women's Clydesdale driving class was going on,...

And the 6-horse Percheron driving teams.

Some of the Percherons were waiting outside the Coliseum for their class.
When this team - from Blue Ribbon Farms of Missouri - entered, you could watch their feet move in exact unison, their heads held in exactly the right spot, and the bells on their harnesses ringing at the exact correct moment. It was... magical.

Lastly, we visited the barns. There were lots of harnesses and other tack hanging up outside stalls, tack rooms, and vans. Every inch of it sparkled and shone. =)
There are plenty more pictures where those came from, especially of the Clydesdales and Percherons. I promise there will be a post in the near future that features more pictures of the Clydesdales (and a few Percherons). Hope you enjoyed!

No comments: