Saturday, August 7, 2010

Falling

I've fallen off of Zan twice in the past week. Yes, twice. Why? I was bareback, and the first time, it was the ground's fault. The second time, Zan was being stupid. Want to hear all about it? I thought so. Well, here goes.

Last week, Taylor and I were riding after Saddle Club - me bareback, her with a saddle - and we decided to ride outside. Obviously, I was a bit cautious about the ground (Katie and Mallory had fallen down out there earlier that week), but I wasn't too worried. Not worried enough to not canter out there. Kristen was leaning against the gate on the side of the barn as I asked Zan to canter. We got all the way around once, and the second time around, when we were on the side of the arena near the barn, near the drain pipe, Zan slid and landed on his slide.

"Oh, we're falling," I think as I tumble off Zan and into the dirt. No, I'm not hurt, and the first thing I do is rush over to Zan, help pull him up, and make him walk to examine him for injuries. His legs are fine, no cuts, and he's not limping. His legs aren't warm, and he's as sweet as can be. As usual, he has that innocent look on his face, and rubs his forehead against my stomach, as if to ask, "What was that, mom?" Gosh, he's adorable.

Yesterday, Katie was riding Mal bareback, I was riding Zan bareback, Rachel (=/) was riding April bareback, and Tay was riding Pete bareback. I stopped Zan beside the water cooler, which was sitting on top of the fridge, and took a drink of my Gatorade. Zan whipped his head around and thwacked the water cooler with his nose. The cooler then proceeded to rattle, which of course scared Zan, and I fell off. Of course. He stood there for a second - again with  the innocent look! - and then flipped his reins over his head and stepped on them. THOSE AREN'T EVEN MY REINS! They're Meredith's! Waaagh! Now I've got to locate another pair of reins that color and that quality. Nice job, Zan.

Anyways, I'm sick of falling. I'm going to hope that this week, and the rest of my life, I never fall off. Ever. Again. =) Have a nice weekend.

2 comments:

D. Ward said...

We once had a pony who was really small we liked to say "Even if he does throw you the ground wasn't that far away."

Gabriella Elise said...

We have a Shetland pony, and one day we were using him for a camp and one of the kids fell... and she goes, "Wow! That was a really short way down!"