Also today, Erica, Katie, Taylor and I all rode. Yea, Katie had to leave before we got to the fun stuff, but we all got to ride a bit out in the outdoor arena and jump (FAIL) some jumps before Kada left. Katie was on Mal, Erica on Sonny, Taylor on Petey Boy, and me on Zan. After Katie left, Erica, Taylor, and I headed out to the back field.
-------
Keep in mind this is the first time I've ridden back there since I broke my arm.
Keep in mind all of the times I've fallen off out in the back.
Keep in mind that I've never - EVER, in the history of my life at Victory - ridden a horse other than Emmy out back.
Lastly, keep in mind that I Zan likes to go. Fast.
-------
Soon enough, Erica, Taylor and I struck up a conversation about whose horse was fastest. Erica thought Sonny, and both Taylor and I thought Tar was faster. So, we all decided to race. The first time, we walked a few steps and then all of us shouted, "GO!" and we took off at a canter. I wasn't sure exactly what Zan was going to do, so I held him back a little while encouraging him to ease his speed up a little bit at a time. Yes, Erica won that one. But not so easily!
The next race, I let Zan loose a bit. I still held back on him, but I let him have some rein before pulling him back to a controlled yet fast pace. Erica won again, and we decided to have one final rematch. I knew this was the time to let the beast loose.
As soon as we were lined up and the horses had stood still for a few seconds, Taylor shouted "GO!" and I kicked Zan, who took off at a very speedy canter. We were about halfway across the field before I realized that Taylor and Erica weren't behind me. I turned Zan and we cantered slowly back.
"That was just mean!" I shot at Taylor. "False start, my butt," I muttered as I settled Zan for another try. But then, before Taylor could yell 'go,' she said she didn't want to race again. Erica and I questioned her a bit but decided we would just race. "Well, then. Be that way," I said to Taylor as I hovered a bit above my saddle, ready for takeoff.
As Taylor shouted "GO!" and Erica and I took off, I let Zan have control. I wacked him with my heels and shouted at him to run, run, run. About 3/4 the way across the field, he kicked in the speed and we gained on Sonny, finishing maybe ten strides behind them instead of 25 (like the past two races, lol).
After that, Erica had a lesson to teach, so I rode Zan and Taylor took Sonny and we rode outside for a while while Erica had her lesson. Then, we all went out to eat at Olive Garden before returning to our houses to take our well-earned naps. ;)
Good times. Gooooood times.
No comments:
Post a Comment