Okay, I don't have much time to talk. Really, I should be heading to bed soon. So, I was at SunnyBrook on both Tuesday and Wednesday.
Tuesday, the farrier was out. He took care of just about everybody, except for Cookie and K.D.; Cookie doesn't need his hooves done, and K.D. has moved out, if I didn't already mention that. Missy, Chief, and Grinder got shoes. Missy got barrel racing shoes on the fronts and regulars on the back; Chief got regulars all around; and Grinder got regulars all around -- after a big, 20-minute struggle about his back feet. Sigh.
Misty got trimmed, and so did Lucy. But guess what?!? Lucy has a future. The plan is to give her 4 weeks to let her hooves grow out a little, and then we're putting shoes on her. Yes, that's right; shoes on the lame horse. The farrier's theory is that the shoes will help her hooves grow out more evenly, and then she will have a place to go. We're going to leave the shoes on as long as we possibly can, and then we'll just go from there. Hopefully, in a year or so she'll be good for halter and walk/trot classes! Yesss!!
Wednesday, Lisa and I took Chief and Missy out on the trails. We walked along the creek and just about got in it, but decided it was a little early in the season to be attempting hard obstacles. So, we worked on going across a small ditch without jumping five feet in the air. It worked, but then it started storming as we were bringing the horses in. Yup, I've got bruises from hail and my right wrist is swollen from where the saddle horn hit it when Missy spooked.
Sigh. It was a productive two days, and I'm hoping next week will be just as good. First Saturday in May is the first barrel racing show of the season! Time to start conditioning!
2 comments:
Farrier days always feel like lost days to me. I know the work needs to be done but anything that eats up training time is frustrating. I didn't realize there were specific shoes for barrel racing. That's very interesting.
Um, yeah, we had hail too. I'm done, I tell you! Glad you had a productive couple of days though:)
Post a Comment