Monday, March 7, 2011

Tack

The picture I posted in my last post of two of the tack cabinets made me start thinking about tack. No, I haven't been to the barn in almost a week (*panic attack*), but I'll be going to SunnyBrook on Wednesday and I plan to get quite a bit done. More on that later.

So, I'm thinking that tomorrow, I'm going to make a list of things I need to look at in the tack boxes and things I should probably think about getting rid of. There is SO MUCH *ahem* junk in the tack room, it's ridiculous. The picture I posted was just two of the 2 of the 5 tack trunks/cabinets that we have in the tack room (that would be including the one that has all of Asia's stuff in it). We also have a bunch of random tack in the tack compartment of the trailer, plus a bunch of random items in the actual camper part of the trailer from me doing repairs, etc. on tack while Lisa painted the trailer. Plus, we have a corner beside the arena filled with whips, bridles, and lead ropes. Also, there is a compartment beside the tack room door that has many hooks filled with halters, bridles, breast collars, and tie downs; oh, and don't forget the bridles and halters that are hanging on Misty's stall door. OH! There are also uncountable saddles on uncountable saddle racks strewn across the tack room.

Does that sound like enough tack to go through? I remember a while ago, in the summer last year, I cleaned out and organized the tack room at SunnyBrook. It took FOR-FREAKING-EVER, but it was totally worth it. In the post I linked to, I mention a goal of getting two English bridles into that tack room by the end of 2010. Well, that goal obviously failed. I DID get my English saddle moved there, though, and my new *ish* English bridle. Does that count?!? I hate not meeting goals. It drives me absolutely *crazy*. Sigh.

Anyways. I've been strolling around online - mostly Dover Saddlery and StateLineTack - looking at tack for sale. Like I need more tack. Yeah. Totally.

A list of things I've decided I'll need if I ever get a horse that can do both English and western and isn't completely lame and not insane:

  • a lunging surgical: $60 (or) a different lunging surgical: $80 
  • Collegiate figure 8 noseband bridle: $120 {insert low whistle of amazement here}
  • leather lunging caveson: $70 (or) Cadence lunging caveson: $90 {just a thought: is the quality difference in between an un-named brand leather caveson and a Cadence leather caveson really worth the $20 price difference? thoughts?}
  • Vespucci jumping breastplate: $260 {again, low whistle of amazement}
  • Next Generation Wintec 2000 All Purpose saddle: $700 {thought: this saddle isn't very pricey for the quality it actually looks like it is. I might have to stop in Harmeyer to see if they have any of these in stock.}
  • Amigo Turnout Sheet: $95 {thought: I sort-of have a feeling this is going to become a necessity for Lucy this summer. she seems like she does better inside a stall rather than out in the field, but since round-the-clock stall life isn't particularly available for Lucy right now, she needs to be kept outside and a turnout sheet might make her feel a little more secure, along with the other physical and natural benefits of a turnout sheet. what do you think of turnout blankets for a horse like Lucy?}
  • Tory training martingale: $60 {thought: this would be absolutely perfect for Chief during these stages when nobody knows what he's going to do or how much equipment he's going to need, etc.}
Yeah, the list is longer, but I don't want to bore you too much. My point of this post was, basically, that I'm extremely bored and anticipating Wednesday. I really, really  need to get a good ride in on Missy, maybe trot Lucy on the ground to see how she's doing lameness-wise, take pictures of Lucy's feet, and lunge Misty among other things. It's going to be a busy day on Wednesday, that's for sure.

Who else around here buys and collects tack and somehow doesn't ever get rid of it? Anybody else feel like even though they have too much tack, they still need more? :)

2 comments:

Mare said...

I have too much crap. I'm a crap collector, yet I continue to buy more crap. It's an unending cycle of crap. ;)

Gabriella Elise said...

Yess. That's exactly how I feel.
Everyone bugs me about it. Mom. The trainers. My friends. It's kinda funny, actually -- an unending joke. It will never end because I keep buying or getting gifted CRAP!:)