Saturday, June 26, 2010

Critiquing Random People Riding & Their Horses

Today, I decided that I would critique random people riding and totally random horses*.


Now, I know it's difficult to see. And I apologize for that, but bear with me for a second. The yellow lines/angles are the angles her body is in now, and the blue lines/angles are where her body should be. She needs to slide her leg back, lean back, and lift up her hands. If she did that, her ride would look a lot better and so, so much smoother. When you ride, you should be able to draw a straight line from the heel of your shoe up your back and have your back level with your heel. Your hands need to be up at about belly button level if not higher. She should ask her horse to lower its head, so that its nose is level with the middle of her calf. Other than that, everything looks good. I like the horse, and if his head wasn't all up and ugly, he would be very eye-catching in the show ring.


Okay, I really don't like the look of this horse. Its not standing square (as people typically stand horses to take still pictures of them), and its hip looks short and unattractive. Nw, that may not be so, but still. And I'm certainly not liking the look of that head; it makes the horse look top-heavy. The croup is short and unpronounced. Overall it doesn't look very well-balanced and the only reason it would catch my eye in the show ring or out in the world is because it's so... unbalanced. It just looks weird. Yes, it's a Standardbred.


Eeeeew.That. Is. Disgusting. Before I get started on the back, just LOOK at that upright shoulder and fugly nose. It's got post legs and a SWAYBACK. Yes, look at it's back; if you can't tell that there's something wrong with that horse, then there's something wrong with your head. Uck. And it has a pretty tiny neck, too, and a strange shoulder. Just don't get me started.

Now, just for comparison, some horses that I actually like:


For once, a stallion that I like. Even better, an Arabian stallion that I like. He looks very balanced, nice, and easygoing. At the same time, he seems very royal and important. His name is Sobek, and according to the video on the site for his program, he's an excellent mover. Click on the picture for more info.


This is a QH mare that is being used as a broodmare. She is beautiful; and she's a QH, which is a breed that I'm not so fond of, to say the least. I like her head and the way her rump is - perfect for QH judges in the show ring and for producing excellent offspring. You can view one of her handsome colts here. Click on her picture for her info off of the site.

That's about it, folks! Like the post? Leave a comment or just tell me so in person. Thanks everybody, and I'll see ya'll next time! ;)

*The people featured in these photographs are of no relation to me and mean nothing to me. The photographs belong solely to the owners and so do the horses. The riders of the horses may be the owner or exhibitor of the horse and have full rights to the horse, the image, etc. All rights reserved. =)

No comments: