Both Taylor and I texted Erica, and she told us to find our horses and get them ready to go. So I took Madison out to the field to get Sonny (he and Rascal were the only geldings out; April and Mona were out in their field) while Taylor got Pete out and put Zan over on the single tie.
Maddie and I got Sonny safely into the barn and we all got to work brushing. We spent all the time we could brushing - we had 2 1/2 hours to ride/brush/chill out/goof off - and then finally saddled and bridled. We headed out to the outdoor arena and walked around on the rail while Erica explained a new game to us:
We would each take turns walking, trotting, or cantering (Madison, walk/trot, Taylor, trot/canter, me, trot/canter) on the rail ALONE, without Erica instructing us. We would go around 1-3 times (walking, one time; trotting, two times; cantering, three times) and then come into the middle of the arena where the other two riders were. The two other riders would give us a grade (for example, A, A-, B+, B, B-, etc) and the reasons why we got that grade. Then, Erica would tell us what grade SHE would give us, and reasons why we got that grade. Then, the next person would go, then the next, then we would start over with the other gait (for example, if I trotted the first time, I'd canter the second; if Madison walked the first time, she'd trot the second, etc.)
So we played the game. I have to say, Madison improved quickly using this method; she started holding her hands lower and she made her posting much more rhythmic. I was proud. Zan and I's trots were sloppy, and I hope we can improve on that today. Our canter, on the other hand, was better. So much better - I am so happy!
;) Let's go for all A's today, okay folks?
Maddie and I got Sonny safely into the barn and we all got to work brushing. We spent all the time we could brushing - we had 2 1/2 hours to ride/brush/chill out/goof off - and then finally saddled and bridled. We headed out to the outdoor arena and walked around on the rail while Erica explained a new game to us:
We would each take turns walking, trotting, or cantering (Madison, walk/trot, Taylor, trot/canter, me, trot/canter) on the rail ALONE, without Erica instructing us. We would go around 1-3 times (walking, one time; trotting, two times; cantering, three times) and then come into the middle of the arena where the other two riders were. The two other riders would give us a grade (for example, A, A-, B+, B, B-, etc) and the reasons why we got that grade. Then, Erica would tell us what grade SHE would give us, and reasons why we got that grade. Then, the next person would go, then the next, then we would start over with the other gait (for example, if I trotted the first time, I'd canter the second; if Madison walked the first time, she'd trot the second, etc.)
So we played the game. I have to say, Madison improved quickly using this method; she started holding her hands lower and she made her posting much more rhythmic. I was proud. Zan and I's trots were sloppy, and I hope we can improve on that today. Our canter, on the other hand, was better. So much better - I am so happy!
;) Let's go for all A's today, okay folks?
No comments:
Post a Comment