Thursday, July 14, 2011

Glory, Glory Halliluijah - Riding Glory and Pete

Today, I got up at 6 am. Again. Honestly, I'm getting sick of the whole going-to-bed-late, getting-up-early thing. It's really annoying and I found myself being really grumpy with Madison today. Ah, well.

I got to the barn at 8 am. I got all of my tack out and went and got Pete. I tacked him up and - after struggling with the whole bridle situation - took him to the outside arena. Erica set up some jumps while I warmed him up. We jumped three perfect  courses. So, I called it a day and turned him over to Isabel, who swiched saddles (mine/Erica's is way too big for Belle) while I switched the normal bit onto the bridle, removing my double-reigned one.

While they began their lesson, I went and fetched... *dun dun dunnn* Glory! She's really herd bound, so she walked reeeeally slowly with me up to the barn from the field, calling to the rest of the mares the whole way. I had to cross-tie her facing the opposite way from normal so that she could look out the end aisle gate to her 'buddies' that were in the arena: April, Pete and Sonny.  When I put her bridle on, she flipped out at the noseband and totally spasmed, backing down the aisle faster than a rocket. I grabbed the cheek piece, pulled her head around and said "STAND." She rolled her eyes upwards at me, but stood still while I fastened everything up.

Leading her into the arena, the looked around as if she'd never been outside before. The quivered when April trotted past, even though April's one of the only horses that can stand Glory in the field. I mounted up and she moved all around like a wiggly worm underneath me. We walked a little and I got her to tuck her head, sidepass, and then we stopped, backed, and turned on the forehand. She's actually quite talented once you get past her jitteriness. She's 23 (ish) years old, but she acts and looks like a 4 year old. She's really small (small even for an Arab), so every time I ride her I feel like I'm gonna break her.

Her trot, once you get her to slow down and tuck her head, is actually really nice and floaty. Her canter, though... woah. She switches leads every other stride and you can't get her to bend unless its on a really tight circle. It's crazy. We cantered twice and then I was done with trying. Isabel, Alaina and madison were all riding at the same time so I didn't want to stress them or me. Because, you know, fair's tomorrow.

WOAH. FAIR STARTS TOMORROW.

No comments: