I live for Wednesdays. This week has been so hectic, and I just don't know what to do some days. Those are the days I turn to two things: first God, and then the ponies. So, after praying and hoping that next week will be better, I left school at 3:30 pm (after playing some soccer with the boyss;)) with Lisa. We stopped at the bread store to get their 'left over' bread for the chickens, and then ran by her work to check for the Circle X show bill. We were supposed to have a show on Saturday, but after calling into the office (trying 2 phone numbers before finding one that actually works..) we found out it was cancelled because of rain. :( Good thing we didn't show up Saturday morning!
Anyways, at the barn I got Missy and Lisa got Grinder. Lisa's been... not riding Grinder as much lately. Well, we brought him in and immediately noticed he'd lost a shoe. Lisa's probably going to pull the other front one (he dropped the front right) this weekend; it can wait a few days since the ground is mushy and not flat and solid (thank you, central Indiana rain). I tacked up Missy fastest and first. I'm so, so glad Missy's shedding a ton. The front half of her, and her butt, look like a summer horse. The middle part... eh, not so much. It kind of looks like a polar bear-creature-thing. But, she's beginning to look normal and so is Chief. Grinder just looks ragged, what a rebel. ;)
I hopped on Missy in the round pen - I wanted to ride outside, but, again, Indiana weather killed that dream - and we had a really quick ride. We warmed up and worked on bending a lot. Ya'll have no idea how much better she flexes to the left than to the right. It drives me crazy, especially because she turns the right barrels better than left. Does that make sense to you?!? Grr.
We also worked on sidepasses. I actually discovered she still remembers how to do them, on accident. I was really trying to get her to back, but I squeezed too hard with my right leg and the bend was just right, and she sidepassed to the left. So for about 20 minutes, with a few little breaks, we worked on refining our sidepassing skills. I have to say, it went quite well. She's doing well. We also worked on neck reining. She's doing good at that, too. :)
Then, Lisa rode Grinder for a bit in the round pen. I untacked Missy and went to get Lucy. Missy got to go back out in the dirty, dirty mud lot with Chiefie boy. Poor mare. I got Lucy out of her field and brushed her as Lisa was untacking Grinder. She put Grinder back outside and we both worked on brushing Lucy for a bit. The goose horse needs some lovins too, all the time, as much as possible. Her feet are looking TONS better, and there are barely any cracks at all. I"m very, very proud of her progress. When I tried picking her back feet, though, she got finicky about them. First time I've handled her back feet at all since the shoeing; I think she was just scared I was going to put more nails through her foot. As soon as she realized I didn't mean any harm, she relaxed and we got the job done.
We wormed Lucy first with applesauce, and then with the second round of wormer for this round of wormers. It was such a struggle, but eventually we got it with little to no problem.
We put Lucy outside, and Missy and Chief up in the very front pastures; the ones with a ton of grass. We would've left them out there overnight or for a few days, but going from little grass in the mud lot to a ton in the front fields is just asking for a fatal colic. So, we took Cookie and put him in the round pen for a while. I could tell he needed it; badly. He had so much pent up energy, he must've ran around for 20 minutes, bucking, rearing, rolling, challenging us and amusing us. I love that little booger, but I wish he could be so cute and amusing without the 'tude. :(
Anyways, we switched the horses back into their regular fields and Cookie back into his normal stall. He looked sad to be confined again, but it's what's best for him anyways; er, for now. We collected chicken eggs and found a MONSTER egg - we're talking 2 1/2 times the size of a normal egg. It was impressive, and I'm surprised a chicken was able to lay it! :)
It was a good night. Pictures of the Cookie Monster, Missy, and Chief coming soon, I promise!
No comments:
Post a Comment