Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Catching Up

Hey, folks. Long time, no blog. I know there are only 11 of you followers, but ya'll make me feel obligated to write s'more. Here goes with some short little updates about our favorite nickering friends. :)

Missy
Lil' Mrs Thang is having a great fall and winter. She's had most of the time off. Early in fall, she had an eye infection episode that actually really scared us. We first thought she was going to lose her eye, but then  she made a quick and unexpected recovery. Truly an answer to our prayers, that one was. Then, she had an episode where she got her halter caught on a T-post and pulled a muscle in her neck. She was off riding for about two weeks for that, and now she's all better! I'm going to go out and ride her tomorrow if I have time. I've missed riding her.

Grinder
I've been working with Grinder a little bit. I rode him a while ago with Annie and Casey, and he did pretty great. He listened to me for the most part, and he was good with trail riding as long as he didn't have to leave. He's getting somewhere, and I hope that maybe in a couple years, he'll actually be use-able for something.

Chief

Prince over here is doing great. Well, that is, when I can catch him! He's going through the exact same phase that Zan went through with the whole, being-caught-is-a-game thing. I hate it. When I DO ride him, though, he's an angel. And he does perfect. He's understanding leads, and his trot is a pleasure trot. And despite my previous plan, I think I"m going to introduce him to the barrel and pole patterns at the walk and trot. No faster, but I want him to be familiar with it. I'm also going to introduce to him pivots and a more advanced sidepass. He's a good boy, and he's getting very flexible and his attention span is getting longer. I love him!

Pete
Pete foundered a few weeks ago. He's all better now, though. I rode him on Friday and he did absolutely amazing. He followed all my instructions, did everything I wanted him to. He's lost quite a bit of weight and I'm proud of him.

Sonny
I haven't ridden Son in a while, but I'll give you guys another update after I ride him this Friday. 

Zan
Zan is.. not doing so well. BOTH of his legs are failing terribly now. We said that the first snow that sticks, we'll seriously evaluate our options with him. Guess what? It snowed an inch today. I'm crushed. When I go out Friday we're going to seriously discuss options. I think that we'll have to put him down before January. I hate it. I love him, so much. I wish he could live longer. He's only 10.. :(

23 days until December 22nd. That'll mark the two-year anniversary of Emmy's death. 

December is a morbid month for me in many ways. That's just one of them. 

But I say bring it on. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. And that's how I am the tough person I am today.

2 comments:

Wolfie said...

I think it's great that you get to work with different horses. I hope December is not as morbid for you this year....time heals all wounds??

Gabriella Elise said...

Only sometimes. We'll see..