Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Amazing Sonny, Lucy's Haircut and Missy & Chief's Progress

It's been a while since I've posted - that's because I've been so darn busy! :)

On Friday, I rode Sonny at Victory. I got on him and warmed him up and didn't expect much of him. It'd been three weeks since he'd been ridden last (er, since he'd been truly worked last, he'd been used for lessons but of course that's just routine for him, not really a work out) and he seemed a bit energized. We trotted down the long stretch in the outdoor arena and I carefully see-sawed the reins and used my legs a little to ask for collection. He rounded up, tucked his nose down and started a nice extended trot - with collection! I was sooo proud of him, and to top that, he carried his collection over into the canter and the entire rest of our ride! He was so amazing, and it was so unexpected.

I rode him again yesterday and he did pretty much the same thing. We did a piaffe and some sidepassing.. and worked on his shortening/lengthening strides at the trot and canter. He did amazing.

Today, I went to SunnyBrook. I got there and Lisa was already in the barn, hanging new fans for the horses, who were all inside. I walked up to Lucy's stall and looked inside. She was sulking in the back , looking out the window again. I think she hates being in a stall so much because of how long she was on stall rest. I have to say, stall rest can really mess with a rescue horse's mind... Anyways, I looked into the stall and immediately she perked her head up and walked over to me. She put her nose up against the bars and blew air, looking me in the eye.

Lisa was working on T's mane and tail and stuff so I went and got a halter, lead rope, brush, hair brush, scissors, and baby oil. Oh, and a hoof pick.

I started to untangle Lucy's mane but she had FOUR giant knots in it. I couldn't stand it. So, I cut it. It went from being about a foot and a half long to about four inches. It broke my heart to see it so short but it really needs it. Plus, she was tied in her stall IN FRONT OF THE FAN and she was dripping sweat under where her mane laid. So I guess by cutting it that short, she still has more mane but it'll be more convenient to take care of, and will keep her cooler. But she still has a little to keep away the flies. :)

After that, I picked out all four hooves (having to do a little manner session on we do this my way, not yours). Then, I took her into the arena. We did our basic manners session (basically halter/showmanship stuff, minus the trotting) and then worked on a bit of long lining. I started out with one long rope on each side of her halter, hooked to the silver piece that connects the nose band and cheek piece. The rope on the outside of our "circle" was laid over her back just behind her withers, so that I could control her without having to be directly behind her, because we all know she loves to kick. the other rope was just like a lunge line, except attached to the opposite side piece on her halter.

Lucy did simply amazing with that. She actually walked on the circle (not moving her butt around like crazy, like usual) and listened to my cues. After that, I thought, "If she can long line, why can't she lunge?" So.. I took off the long lines and put a lunge line on her halter. I picked up one of the small, shorter whips that I was using for long lining and asked her to move out on the circle.

SHE DID IT!


She's never really gotten the concept of lunging right, but she DID it. She even came into me, and then reversed directions. I got an involuntary trot in the middle of it there and she didn't limp much but I immediately asked her to slow down and she did. She is such an angel..

Then, I rode Missy for the last time until state. She did great and we worked on rollbacks, head set (even though that isn't really needed for contesting, I still like to use it as a good tool to get your horse listening to your hand and leg cues) and did a few barrel exercises that we could do minus the barrels. We ran the poles pattern minus the poles, and keyhole too. Lisa rode Chief and I have to say, I'm soooo glad that I had the idea to get a martingale for him, because it's already helped him LOADS! His trot is actually adjustable, his headset is better and hes listening to the rider's hands and legs, but not so much the seat. I think eventually we'll put him in draw reins, but for now we're just going to work with the martingale and gradually make it shorter, the length it needs to be to really get him as far as we can with it; right now, it's about four holes too lose and isn't really being as effective as I'd like.

After our ride, I practiced ponying Chief with Missy and he did great and so did she! They're so good together, and they've sort of adopted each other... it's nice. Lisa and I untacked them and went back to the air conditioned camper to have some soup. It was nice, and we got to sit and talk and just enjoy life in general.

Man.. Life is good.

No comments: