Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bad News x3


There's been a load of bad news lately. Might as well start with the semi-good.

At the contesting workshop last Thursday, we ran barrels a ton. The normal leader wasn't there - he was riding out in the mountains. Well, my first barrel run I just cantered. Second one... I ran a bit. Third one, I freaking fell off. Okay, I didn't really fall off... We ran to the first barrel and Missy stumbled, and I lost both stirrups. She stumbled again and it shook me. My legs were already tired from two weeks straight of riding every single day. So, instead of stopping - I knew that if I tried to stop I'd fall off the back of her - I just slowed her down best I could and slid off the side. I knocked down the first barrel in the process. I stood up, dusted my shoulder and butt off, and said "let's do that one again..". Set up the barrel, ran it again, in 18 seconds. Sam said my fall was hilarious and that I "made her day." Then, I timed Sam's run and she got 17.5 ish seconds. She said that I usually would've ran faster than her, but didn't just because I was shaky from the fall. I disagree; I was a little disappointed in myself for not pushing Missy faster. Sam's stinkin 6 year old beat my 24 year old angel. hhmph. Won't happen again.

Secondly. At 1 am on Father's day, my grandfather passed away at 89 years old. He'd had congestive heart failure and died of a heart attack. My dad, who I've never seen cry before, cried the entire day on Father's Day. It sort of ruined the day, and he didn't even want to go to church. So, he and Dana (my dad's fiance', the third wife..) flew out to the Virgin Islands (where my grandmother and grandfather live(d) ) this morning (Tuesday). They're gonna stay there the rest of this week and probably another week and a half after that. Logan (Dana's 9 year old daughter) is staying with her dad. I'll miss my daddy, but my grandma isn't ready for my sisters, brother and I to come see her yet. It'll be a while. :/

And lastly, Joseph was put down this morning. He's had surgery on some tumors before, but early last week he started losing his sight. He was partially blind in his left eye before, but he totally lost his sight in a span of 3-4 days. Then, his digestive system began to fail and he stopped eating entirely. He was put in a private lot with Rascal (his best friend) and yesterday Charlotte made the call to the vet and rendering truck. She was going to take him to Purdue on Friday, but she decided that he's too far gone and, besides, they said they'd be able to look at him but probably wouldn't be able to do anything. Sweet sweet Joe will be missed.. I know Rascal will be sad. I feel so sorry for Charlotte, she had Joe for 11 years. I know it's hard to lose a horse, and I'll be praying and I hope you guys will be, too.
Joe's A Smokin'
5/11/00 - 6/21/11
Basically, it's been a terrible couple weeks. Hopefully things will look up soon.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

So so sorry for your losses. And yeah, it's never fun to fall, even if it's amusing to others:) Take care...things will get better.

Wolfie said...

You've had a bad run lately, for sure. Sending positive thoughts your way that things will start looking up soon.