Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sharing What I Love With Who I Love

Casey with Missy, Me with Chief, and Annie with T.
I am so grateful for my life with horses. So many people worked so hard so that I could have these privileges. And now, I'm passing on that knowledge and those experiences to my best friends. After less than 4 months of riding, which translates into maybe 15 rides, my friends have developed such strong bonds with their horses.

After MAYBE 15 rides, they can each problem solve with out much of my imput. Yes, they're still learning. But they don't ask as many questions because they can get inside their horse's heads and figure out what they're doing wrong. They're advancing as riders and they're helping the horses learn to be gentle with beginners. It's amazing to see the progress. It's even better that my friends are so willing to take part in the activity I love the most.

If this gives you any clue as to how far they've both come, today Casey was riding T and T reared. Casey immediately leaned forward and shifted her center of balance, and once T stopped rearing, she made her circle and then trot a line and then she got off. She looked me straight in the eye and said, "I need to get off. I need to lunge her. She's not listening enough." I don't think I've ever heard a beginner recognize when they've crossed the line and immediately identify the solution to the problem. I was in awe. And 30 minutes later, when I walked into the barn where Casey and T were working, I saw something amazing.

See, T has a problem lunging to the right. Even I have a hard time getting her to simply walk that direction. And when I walked into the barn, Casey was lunging T to the right. And as I watched, Casey relaxed her posture, dropped the lunge whip, lowered her eyes, and chirped with her mouth. T pricked her ears, stopped in  her tracks, and started licking her lips. She slowly turned to look at Casey and then walked up to her, stretching her neck to touch Casey on the palm of her outstretched hand with her muzzle. Casey praised T and then told me that she was good, they were done, problems solved for now. Everyone untacked and we turned horses out.

I am just in awe of the connections people develop with their horses, and how quickly it can happen. I know now why people tell me I am so lucky to have the strong connections I have with my horses. Looking on Casey and T's relationship, I see myself and Chief's relationship; myself and Zan's relationship; myself and Emmy's relationship. It's truly shocking to see how much horses have helped both of my best friends.

Today, I developed a new appreciation for the horse. They're a gift. Not just to me, but to the entire world as a whole. They've taught me how to love, how to be responsible, how to double check everything, how to problem solve, and how to think outside the box, among other things. They are truly a blessing.

2 comments:

Wolfie said...

Lovely post. How wonderful that Casey has developed this bond with T. Horses are magic.

Gabriella Elise said...

They truly are!